Thursday, October 15, 2009

Seizure training, day 3

Margs, Ashley and Monty.

Well, hmmm. Our trainer talked all about seizure training today. Tonight Margs had a major seizure, grand mal into just there for 40 minutes. I tried to get Monty to bark, to react, to something, but he just looked at me. Needless to say I'm somewhat distraught. After she got out of the bed, Monty did sniff the bed quite a bit, so I had him check, got excited, bark. And he did it. I think its time for training in the dark. Just not sure what to do at this point.


Monty is somewhat depressed, he is not sure where he is or who we are. Jeremy said that is typical of GSD's, so hopefully he will come around.


Not many pictures today.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. It will come. I think the one thing I did not expect after we came home from training in September is the depth of the process in getting to know these dogs, their personalities and learning to work with them. I was so focused on the wonderful things that they can do for our kids, and everyone elses great stories. While these are all true, there is the side that involves work, practice and the realization that perfection doesn't come in the first day or even the first month. And, that is okay. I wasn't prepared for this, and I wish I had been.

We love Red, and I can honestly tell you I was overwhelmed and discouraged the first week at home , wondering if I will ever be a competent handler or if Red would really turn out.

Day by day, with practice, it does get better. And that's what it is really, practice. If you are persistant in the practice, it will get easier.

Red is a wonderful dog and a blessing to Nick and our family, and I wouldn't trade him for the world. We are seeing the benefits already. I just needed go through an acceptance stage that this is a process. Just one day at a time...

Lanae, Sept Slueths

Anonymous said...

Margs be patient with Monty he will get it.... Just keep Loving him and having him check every time he will get it